Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Hubbel Pond WMA and Tamarac NWR - Day 259

  Only a half mile of today's hike was on road. Yeah! Even though this was my longest day in a while, I was less sore when I finished than the days when I do nothing but pound pavement.

The day began on a segment of private land where the trail has an easement. There is a nice campsite, which is really good, because no camping is allowed for the next 20 miles. Then we enter the Hubbel Pond Wildlife Management Area. This entry is at the north end, which I saw when leaving the area.
NCT Hubbel Pond arch

It was a gorgeous day- it didn't get too hot. My only complaint is that the mosquitoes were pretty healthy and hungry.
blue sky over prairie

The biggest event in the WMA is that there is a ford of the Otter Tail River. The chapter has put up really good signage on both sides at the places where you would need to turn to do a road walk around this. I waded. It was a nice gravelly bottom and didn't quite come to my knees. Felt good, and temporarily washed off the poison ivy oils.
Otter Trail River

The next piece of property is the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge. They have supported the NCT for decades, but always had a problem because of the regulations that didn't allow human use of certain portions of the refuge in the summer. Wildlife refuges are primarily for the wildlife, not recreation! Eventually, connections were made to keep the trail out of that portion of the refuge. At long last, trail was built rather than just using refuge roads. It's now a beautiful section of trail.

This is Tamarac Lake.
Tamarac Lake

And, I scored a new plant. Actually, I'm not 100% sure of the ID yet, [but I think it's Downy Woodmint. That said, the leaves aren't quite right, but the flowers don't seem quite right for Hairy Woodmint.] NEWS FLASH- this has been identified for me as Anise Hyssop. Maybe I'll find some more to look at more closely, and smell. It should smell like licorice. In any case, it's stunning.
woodmint

Miles today: 16.6. Total miles so far: 3058.2.

See Vergas Loon

2 comments:

Ann said...

You had some beautiful views.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- yes- very nice hike