Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 26, 2022

Into the Chip - Day 269

  We had an interesting start this morning. The road I wanted to hike to turned out to be pretty much an ATV trail, and we could not get to the NCT on it. So my choices for distances were 14.1 miles or 18 miles. I chose the shorter one. I just didn't feel up to 18 on trail after yesterday. So by the time we did all that driving around on poor roads, I got a late start. It all worked out.

Today, I started through the Chippewa National Forest. I wondered if I'd recognize any of the places from 1997.
Chippewa NF sign

The western section of the Chip is defined by the Shingobee River. It's called the Shingobee Recreation Area, and the trails are wide for skiing. I do remember this bridge, called the Anoway Bridge because it crosses the outlet from Anoway Lake that leads to the Shingobee River.
Anoway Bridge

The bridge over the Shingobee is on a road. The river is broad and winding, and the floodplain is filled with cattails. I liked the texture of the scene.
Shingobee River

I guess today was a texture day, because this is my favorite shot. These are tamarack (larch) trees, looking dark against yellowing grasses. I would love to get another picture of this same place in the fall when the tamarack turn yellow. Maybe by then the grass would be brown. In the spring, they would be yellow-green against darker grass.
tamarack trees

Again today, there were a lot of little lakes and ponds to walk by. That always brightens my day. I love blue and green! This is just an unnamed wetland, but I liked the shapes and textures.
wetand

While I was eating lunch at a ski shelter, two different butterflies came and rooted around in the gravel. I think when they do this they are looking for moisture. This one is a Compton Tortoiseshell.
Compton Tortoiseshell

Right next to it was a Northern Crescent. I have seen both these butterflies at home too. But not together. I thought it was interesting that they came and left together.
Northern Crescent

The mosquitoes weren't quite as bad, and I only got wet to my knees today. I didn't recognize any other places. I don't really know if the trail follows most of the same route. In one place I found a really old trail marker, so that must be the same.

Miles today: 14.1. Total miles so far: 3166.7.

See Lots of Woods
See Northern Crescent
See Compton Tortoiseshell

3 comments:

Ann said...

Those butterflies are pretty.

Bob Court said...

Wow! Just about 2/3 way through. Congrats!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- Butterflies are like flowers with wings

Bob- getting really close