Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 29, 2022

Sleepwalking? - Day 272

  I seemed unable to wake up all day. Walked anyway, of course. The mosquitoes were horrible, but there's only one more day in the woods for a while. Not sure I've ever anticipated paved trail quite so much.

These stands of red pine from the 1930s have been recognized as not a best forestry practice, but they are always picturesque.
red pines

This is Crown Lake, which seems to be turning into Crown Wetland. There is a campsite here, but I sure can't recommend it during mosquito season!
Crown Lake

Here is the Boy River, which the trail crosses on a road bridge. The lazy, broad rivers of this area are so different from the rocky, jumbled and swift rivers of some of NY and PA.
Boy River

Another new-to-me plant day! American Spikenard, Aralia racemosa. I thought it was a shrub because of the size, but it's actually herbaceous (not a woody stem). One of the largest herbaceous plants. The fruits will ripen to deep purple. Apparently this is also found where I live, but I've not seen it before.
american spikenard

Near the end of the day, the trail popped out on a road again. I wondered why. Well, duh- another river to cross. Oddly, this is named the Swift River. Is that like calling the fat guy "Slim?"
Swift River

And I'll leave you with a pretty purple mushroom. Closest we can ID is probably to the genus Cortinarius. Mushroom identification is a minefield, and I will almost always defer to someone who knows them better than I. For more purple mushrooms, see Purple mushroom/fungus
purple mushroom

Slept all afternoon after I got back to the trailer, so hopefully I'll be more alert tomorrow.

Miles today: 14.3. Total miles so far: 3214.5.

See Theoretically Two-Thirds

4 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Hmm, so the Boy River is broad and lazy? Sounds like some other boys I know ..."
Chaplin: "Hey!"

The Oceanside Animals said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Classicdan1965 said...

You'll be doing my section today. Sorry for the grass on the beaver dam puncheon. Hard to keep it under control. I'd be hiking with you but I'm currently on the SHT. Hope you did OK around the big pine blow down that got rerouted.

Sharkbytes said...

Charlee- better be nice to the boy you like to share sun spots with

Dan- Yes, that cleared section was really good