Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

So Long, Chip - Day 273

  Today I said goodbye to the Chippewa National Forest, but it went out with a bang.
Chippewa National Forest sign

Milton Lake was a beautiful place to stop for lunch. There was a breeze and I was able to take off the gloves, head net, and long-sleeved shirt while I ate.
Milton Lake

The less-than-good news is that at that same spot the river has been running across the road/trail for years. Sometimes it's deeper than other times. Today it was almost crotch deep on me. Maybe it's just my destiny to be wet.
flooded road

After that wade, the trail climbs to the top of an esker and follows it for about a quarter of a mile. Eskers are always fun! See how both sides drop off steeply? That's an almost certain clue you're on an esker.
esker

Then, until the next road crossing, the trail hadn't been cleared in a while. Lots of trees to climb over again. But after that, the trail was in good condition. With warm afternoon light, the Chip bid me farewell.
green forest

Tomorrow I move the trailer. Not sure how many miles I'll hike. We will decide after we see how long the move takes. And I have a little side trip that is tempting me sorely. I've stayed awfully focused for 9 months. Maybe I can feed one other obsession just a bit. Stay tuned.

At any rate, I now switch to almost 200 miles of hardened trail or road walks, very little of which is through damp woods. Hopefully, I'll leave the skeeters behind to care for the Chip. Instead, I'll try not to pound my feet to a pulp.

Miles today: 15.7. Total miles so far: 3230.2

See Sleepwalking

4 comments:

Ann said...

skeeter free hiking would be nice. Or at least so few that you don't have to wear the gloves and head net.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Hmm, seems like maybe they could use a bridge or something at that spot ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- had to slap a few today, but no big deal!

Lulu- that sounds like a great plan, but we are told it's not happening. What if a hiker shows up here in December? Ugh!

Unknown said...

15.7 miles which includes the water wading as well as climbing over fallen trees is amazing!!! Congratulations!!!