Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

It's the Little Things - Day 379

  Yesterday, as I was thinking about not hiking today, I said to Bill, "I am really looking forward to blowing my nose on a handkerchief that isn't wet and stiff."

Meanwhile, let's talk about some big stuff. It's pretty well set that David is coming back to hike some of the western UP miles with me after Christmas. He has a lot more winter backpacking experience than I do. I'm not going into details yet, because there are still a lot of loose ends to tie up.

If this next week stays on schedule, I'll be nearly to Petoskey for Christmas. That feels really close to home, and really comfortable hiking. There is a piece of me that doesn't want to go back to where it is in the teens in the daytime and single digits at night. The snow doesn't bother me much. After you have enough to need snowshoes it doesn't matter if there are 10 inches or 50. It's like when people ask me if I'm afraid to swim in deep water. I always say, "I only use the top couple of feet. It doesn't matter how many feet are below me." Well, OK, 50 inches of snow might obscure some of the blazes. But even the western UP isn't anywhere near that yet.

Here's another little thing that is making me happy. I found this decoration in a store. It didn't cost too much. I surely don't need another frivolous thing, but I bought it because it makes me smile every time I see it. (Partly because it reminds me of this. I've looked at it a lot today. I also read a book this morning, and last night I watched Amahl and the Night Visitors on YouTube.
travel trailer Christmas ornament

I moved the trailer. And I still have a full day ahead of me to do some work and rest more. I think I'll be more than ready to hike on Friday.

See Tahquamenon River

4 comments:

Ann said...

Cute ornament and it's perfect for you. A nice memento of your past year.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "It's a mini-trailer! So cute!"

Secondary Roads said...

I like that mini-trailer too. If I had seen it first, I would have bought it for you. Probably.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- that's true! I'll keep it to remember the year+ in the trailer

Lulu- Everyone is selling mini trailer stuff now, but this one caught my eye

Chuck- thank you for the thought. A lot of people have given me similar stuff, but this one somehow seemed desirable.