Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Time's (more than) Up- How About that List?

 
Remember the list of things I wanted to do this year? Even with the extension I gave myself my success rate is pretty low. I'm reporting just to be honest, certainly not to make myself look good. Frowny face here.

I pretty much know what I need to be doing to reach at least some of my life goals, but I'm doing a really poor job of acting on it.

For illustration I offer two childhood pictures that pretty much define the problem.

Here I am digging a hole. Yes, to China. Inspired by a Donald Duck comic book where Huey, Duey and Louie were digging such a hole. Yes, I would dig whenever the mood struck me. In ten years I got it about 5 feet deep and six feet across. In my defense, I will state that this was in New York gray clay, not Michigan sand. (I was quite shocked when I moved to Michigan and discovered that mere mortals COULD actually dig holes.)

Child digging a hole

Here I am fishing in a creek with no fish. Why? Because I had new rubber boots and a fishing pole. The presence of obtainable osteichthyes was irrelevant to me. I thought that with boots and a pole they would appear and beg to be caught.

Child fishing

You will notice that I look pretty happy in both instances. I was and am a process person. I care more about gardening than having a beautiful garden. I like to knit, etc, but care less about finishing projects. And on and on.

Yes, I know I was a kid. No, I'm not just being down on myself. I know my faults as well as anyone. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether I have improved on these childish methods of choosing activities. I will also draw mine.

Anyway, here's the report.

















54 in 300, report on day 427
NumberCategoryItemFinal
1WRITINGbegin working on North Country Quest againgot briefly inspired, then got boggged down in reality again - still about 5 chapters done
2WRITINGedit Kiss of the Butterfly, submit for publicationnothing
3WRITING100 NC History pagesjust the planning in Nov
4WRITINGblog about 8 wild foodsnone
5WRITINGfinish Dead Mule Swamp Druggist16 chapters added
9WRITINGdo 10 book promotion things9 ish- I lost count
7WRITINGwriting schedule day 50 times (this refers to a particular disciplined schedule)9
8WRITING5 entries in Off the Sanctuary Wallnone
9WRITINGpursue a contract I can't name yetdidn't happen- but I tried
10WRITINGtalk to 5 bookstores about carrying mysteriesnone
11HOUSEfix kitchen drawerDONE
12HOUSEcut down 5 autumn olive treesDONE
13HOUSEclean refrigerator twiceDONE
14HOUSEreplace kitchen faucetnothing
15HOUSEget lawnmower fixedDONE- you heard about most of this. I get extra points
16HOUSEclean terraceDONE
17HOUSEkitchen light electric boxDONE
18HOUSEreplace faucet by washing machinenothing
19HOUSEput away model railroad stuffnone
20HOUSEspend 10 hours sorting books3 total- only managed to make a bigger mess
21FITNESSincrease to 30 pushupsgave up
22FITNESSincrease to 100 jumping jacksgave up
23FITNESSincrease to 2 min plankinggave up
24FITNESSwalk, bike, ski or snowshoe 200 timesno clue- over 100
25HIKINGNCT Hike 100 Challenge for 2016DONE
26HIKINGvisit 5 new MI counties to explore trailsnone
27HIKINGhike 100 more miles of the Buckeye TrailDONE, 230+ actually
28HIKINGclear my trail betterDONE
29PERSONALSavings GoalDONE
30PERSONALFinancial Goal #2nothing
31PERSONALlose 10 poundslost 8!
32PERSONALplay music 50 times20 ish
33PERSONALother #1 (200 times)40 ish
34PERSONALother #2 (12 times)2
35MISCmake 21 quarts juice14 total
36MISCtry 10 new wild foodsnone
37MISCsome genealogy stuffvery little- found John's obit, tried to locate Ricky
38MISC100 more pix on Shark Shotslost track, maybe 20
39MISC2 photo cards documentedgot most hike pictures listed
40MISCgive 10 gifts from my kitchen5 ish
41MISCeat at Brenda's BurgersDONE
42MISCeat at Country Crittersclosed, but now open under new management
43MISCtake my trailer on 2 tripsone
44MISCfinish monkey bootiesDONE
45MISCget two programs NCT and Kitchen Sinknone
46MISCget rid of 100 things??? 20 ish
47MISCread or listen to 100 bookslost track, but way over 100. Most not very meaningful
48MISCmove NCC from Josh's garagenothing
49MISCshort bios of 5 relativesnone
50MISCsort my fabricnothing
51MISCdo something inside my trailerremoved some things I don't want. Finished curtains. Have design plans for rebuilding. Visited Scamp and learned a lot
52MISCadd 50 things to family heritage list15 ish
53MISCsome VCR tapes to DVDnone
54MISCsome cassette tapes to CDnone
There you have it. I probably would have done as much without the list...

See Trail Work Day
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

3 comments:

Ann said...

Well you didn't totally finish the list but you put a heck of a dent in it.
Wishing you a happy new year

The Furry Gnome said...

Never seen such a list! You did a lot just to keep track of it all.

Secondary Roads said...

There would be one line item for me.
1. Compose list -- None