Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, December 26, 2019

What a Weather Treat!

 
It's the big news among almost all my outdoor friends-- today's beautiful weather.

bank sign with temperature

Although I'm trying to be really good and not spend money to just go take a walk, I really had to visit a piece of trail today. It was simply too wonderful outside to do another too-familiar road piece. Well, this section of trail is awfully familiar too, but at least natural surfaces hurt the feet and legs less than pavement.

A green fairy ring?

stump with moss

There were some places where there was snow on the ground, but the trail was mostly bare. The snow did keep the air under the trees cool, but every once in a while, where the sun had penetrated longer, when I took a breath the air was warm!

trail in snowy woods

I didn't see anything unusual, but wintergreen is always a cheerful addition to a winter landscape.

wintergreen

In places where there was snow on a far hill but not nearby, it almost looked as if there was water ahead.

trail in winter woods

Best find? A clump of Indian Pipe seed heads, but these are pretty common too. If I ever find an unexpected plant on this section of trail, you'll be sure to hear about it. I've seen this piece an awful lot, and it's the typical dry upland forest of the region.

indian pipe seed heads

Total distance, 6 miles. 2 hours to the minute. Right on my usual pace for this section.

In other news: I wrote in the morning, and did formatting in the afternoon when I wasn't hiking.

North Country Trail, Lake County, MI. North from Timber Creek TH on US 10 to 3rd St and back again. 6 miles.

See A Beautiful Day for a Hike

2 comments:

Ann said...

Great way to spend the day. It was 57 here yesterday but unfortunatley I was working. After work I just went home and hibernated.

Lin said...

We got out the day after Christmas too. We went out on the trail and did 4.5...which felt GREAT! I usually do 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym, but it is soooo boring. Felt good to be out in the fresh air and sunshine while it is warm enough to do so.