Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, June 23, 2022

North Dakota! - Day 205

  There wasn't even a North Dakota sign on the road I traveled as I entered the state! Well, here is what everyone thinks all of North Dakota is like. But it just ain't so!

There are only two really level places along the entire North Country Trail. What kind of surface is self-leveling? Water, right? So here, in western Minnesota and eastern North Dakota, where glacial Lake Agassiz once held more water than the current Great Lakes combined, the filled-in lake is flat. remains of glacial Lake Agassiz

Where else is flat on the NCT? Nortwest Ohio- the remains of the Great Black Swamp.

But soon after entering ND, the terrain becomes rolling hills. Not huge hills, but definitely rolling. It's still several hours of driving to reach the Missouri River and the terminus of the NCT. I'm not quite there, even yet (just a very few miles). But the water behind the trees is Lake Audubon, the eastern end of Lake Sakakawea. Lake Audubon

Tonight I'm in a campground right on the shore of Lake Audubon. It's a Corps of Engineers campground, and my interagency senior pass gets me half off here too! travel trailer with lake behind it

The day was blistering hot. Thankfully, it's supposed to cool off some tomorrow. My next helper arrived. Look who it is! Yup, Om and I will travel together for a while. Terrible picture, but it's too hot to care about trying for another one. friends

Tomorrow, I am still not hiking. It's going to rain, and I am so far behind on "paperwork" that I'm going to spend the day concentrating on getting a lot of it caught up. Then I'll hike on Saturday.

See Tucked In with the Minnesota Mosquitoes

6 comments:

vanilla said...

Truthfully, you are both looking good!

Ann said...

Looks like a nice campground and even better that it's on the lake. Nice that Om could join you

dlhviz said...

I really enjoy your posts and photos! Is there some app for tracking your progress? I tried using Google maps but could not find the trail.

Secondary Roads said...

Gud to see Om again and with you. Very hot weather here today. I'm enjoying the AC and some time in the basement.

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks, Vanilla!

Ann- we did get a little breeze off the water in the evening

dlhviz- The interactive NCT map is at https://nct.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=23a2c0d674cb443ea9835af2e8c5f13a

Chuck- we are working on getting the kinks out- new helper and all, eh?

Bill Courtois said...

It's great to see you out with, "Mr. Natural". Om-m-m-m-m-m