Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Trail Around Middlebury- Day 194

  Yesterday, I joined a spur of the Trail Around Middlebury (TAM) that has been built for the North Country Trail. Today, I completed the section on the TAM and the spur on the other side of Middlebury. Some of the trail is mowed paths along the edge of farm fields. trail around Middlebury

Here is the TAM emblem. They aren't all this big, but the trail is well marked. TAM trail marker

Some of the trail is nice wooded sections in various parks or preserves. woods trail

Last time I did this, you could choose either the west or east side of the loop, and Marie and I did the west side (See Vermont Extension for that hike). Now, the east side has been made the official route, so I got to see that side this time.

The trail has to get across Otter Creek, a serious waterway. On this side of the loop, there is a double bridge over Belden's Falls. The second span can be seen above the chain link fence. Otter Creek Bridge

Above the falls, the water is quite placid. Below the falls, it's in a rocky gorge! Otter Creek gorge

One of the fields was occupied, but I just walked around these ladies. They just watched me. cows

The biggest surprise was this patch of thimbleberry in bloom. You see lots of them in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but I hadn't thought about finding them in Vermont. thimbleberry

Those mountains are looking a lot closer! I have climbed 700 feet since leaving the shore of Lake Champlain, but I'll climb 1300 feet tomorrow. Green Mountains

Which brings me to the part some of you don't want to hear. There will be no blog posts for 3 days. I will be backpacking again. I'll keep trying to get them caught up, but I'm just too tired to do them any faster.

Miles today: 17.3. Bittersweet Falls Road to Oak Ridge TH. Total miles so far: 2414.5.

See Welcome to Vermont

2 comments:

Ann said...

Thanks for the warning that you will not be blogging for a few days

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Oooohhh, that bridge looks a little high for my tastes ..."
Java Bean: "I'll run across it! Let's go go go go!"