Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Report on the White Pines and a Freebie

 
When I showed you the two surprise baby white pines a couple of days ago, I also realized how big all those trees are getting. That's one really nice thing about pines. They grow fast enough that you actually get to see progress.

I first showed you this view in 2009. I was thrilled that the babies were visible above the grass, but chose to highlight them with arrows. I had planted the taller ones about 20 years before that.

white pines

Here's the same view tonight. Makes me very happy!

white pines

And while I was out walking, I heard the red-tail hawk say "Keee-ee-eer." Spotted it far away, and had to go to optical zoom to capture it, so the picture isn't great, but here it is.

red tail hawk

I think it's a juvenile from the white on the wings.

Spent most of the day working on a writing project and doing odds and ends around the house.

See The Trees are Growing
See What a Teenager!
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


5 comments:

Ann said...

Those trees are coming along nicely. A nice capture on the hawk

The Furry Gnome said...

Planted pines here 15 years ago, and they're like a young forest now.

Secondary Roads said...

Gotta love those pines. We have red tails here in our neighborhood. It's nice to hear that unique cry and even better to watch them in flight.

Lin said...

Aw, those trees are coming along nicely!

RNSANE said...

It's nice that you stay in the same place to watch the progress of your trees.

I don't see any hawks but kites and crows are right here every morning for handouts from Rosy, the Indian "sister" with whom I live.