Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 1, 2014

The Young and the Small

 
This is a random collection of some cuties I caught in the past few days.

I'll start with an update on the caterpillars. I can only find a few of the milkweed tussock moth ones. But they are munching away in close proximity to the monarch caterpillar. Neither one seems the least bothered by the other at this point.

monarch and milkweed tussock moth caterpillars
While I was hunting for these, someone else came to visit. It's a common wood-nymph butterfly, Cercyonis pegala. I can remember this one because the pattern on the wings looks like wood to me.

common wood nymph butterfly
And Wednesday, I got really lucky. I couldn't tell what this was at the distance I took the picture. When I got home, and enlisted a little help from a friend, I discovered I had a picture of a juvenile eastern bluebird! Sialia sialis

juvenile eastern bluebird
I'm off to work all night very soon. Then a hike tomorrow. Hopefully a good nap after that!

See Does this Bird have a Brain?
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

5 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Such wonderful treasures! I love seeing the monarch caterpillar, and her friends. What a sweet bluebird ~ they visit my little acre frequently. And that moth on the oregano blossoms (or so it appears) is gorgeous.

I hope work is kind to you. Enjoy that hike. AND the nap!

rainfield61 said...

You,the caterpillars and the bird need a nap.

Good night.

Ann said...

amazing size difference in the two caterpillars. Love that wood-nymph butterfly. I've never seen one before.
I hope work went quick and you enjoy your hike

Secondary Roads said...

Love those bluebirds. We have them nesting close by. Between them and the swallows the bug population is being controlled. I just wish they'd get more mosquitoes.

Sharkbytes said...

Rose- That is mistflower. It actually grows in my sand.

Rainfield- finally, about 22 hours later, I am about to say good night.

Ann- yes, I like how it showed the relative sizes, too.

Chuck- I don't think I have a pair nearby this year:-(