Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Day with Friends

 
So many things to choose from! It's always hard to miss some things at these get-togethers, but one must choose. No regrets! I had such a good time with two couples today.

First we attended an outdoor expo that was part of the non-conference. Friends Dan and Ruth (that I hiked with in Michigan a few weeks ago) got some good info for their continued hiking in Minnesota. Then the five of us drove out to Two Harbors so we could go to Betty's Pies. That's a not-to-be-missed part of any trip to the Duluth area. I had a grilled cheese, pesto, spinach and tomato sandwich, and then a piece of raspberry peach pie.

Betty's Pies

After that we walked around the harbor and a nice trail. There was a monster Yellowstone 4-8-8-4 Steam Engine on display. It was used to pull cars full of iron ore down from the arrowhead.

Yellowstone Engine

I've taken the inside tour of this lighthouse in the past. Today we just took its picture.

Two Harbors Lighthouse

Toward the end of our hike we were entertained by a little Flickertail (Richardson's Ground Squirrel)

Two Harbors Lighthouse

We made another stop at the rose gardens downtown.

rose

Then we spotted a grocery store. We all needed things, so that became the next project. Then I needed gas and we came back to our Mountain Villa at Spirit Mountain.

Tomorrow, I'm going to hike with Dan and Ruth for the day as they continue on their quest for the North Country Trail. We will be doing a piece of trail that wasn't built when I was here before, so I'm always happy to see new pieces (or even old ones).

See you tomorrow, maybe. I may not have internet.
See Trail Work Day
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

7 comments:

rainfield61 said...

So this is the opportunity cost in real life.

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay it sownds like yoo had a grayt time with SKWIRREL!!! oh my gosh SKWIRREL!!! luk evrywun its a SKWIRREL!!!! ummm sorry i seem to hav lost my trayn of thawt!!! ok bye

Lin said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I'd love to try that pie. ;)

Have fun and hike safe, Sharkey!

Small Kucing said...

I love the rose :)

Sound like an adventure ahead today...have fun :)

Ann said...

Not only does it sound like fun but you were in good company as well.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Looks and sounds like a wonderful time!

I need to make a day like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Secondary Roads said...

Raspberry & peach pie as good for the tummy as that rose is for the eye.

Weather here is hot and sticky.