Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Also Known as Turkeyfoot

 
Five years ago (wow- I've been blogging since before then!), I did a post on Big Bluestem, Andropogon gerardii. I mentioned that it had another name, but almost didn't get around to saying that it is also known as turkeyfoot.

In those years, the patch in my backyard has grown. It's an impressive jungle in August and September, as the stalks get more than six feet tall. It's native, and I'm happy to have it. It's thriving so well I don't feel guilty about mowing my trail through the middle of it. I like to walk through the grassy forest.

big bluestem, turkeyfoot

You can see that it's purple-ish in hue- thus the bluestem. And when you see the seed heads against the sky, there are the turkey feet! But what are all those little dots?

big bluestem, turkeyfoot

Those are the anthers, spreading pollen all over the place- making more turkey feet!

big bluestem, turkeyfoot

Sadly, it's not an edible plant. But, I'll take pretty and native.


See Beautiful Big Bluestem
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


5 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

A wonderful grass, but it doesn't grow up here in Ontario.

rainfield61 said...

"Turkeyfoot", I got it.

Ann said...

I can definitely see why it called Turkeyfoot. It sure looks nice against that blue sky

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay i hav never seen a turkee but trixie has and she ashoors me that this is in fakt wot there feets luk like!!! wow those turkees must be jinormus!!! ok bye

Small Kucing said...

I think we have that over here too. it spread very fast