Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Pipsqueak and Big Squeak

 
Not sure how this pipsqueak got in the house, but this grasshopper was in my bedroom this morning! On a grasshopper scale, it was big, almost three inches long. Handsome in a grasshoppery sort of way. Full-grown- see the long wings extending past the body? But still a pipsqueak.

grasshopper

There are hundreds of species of grasshopper. You may be shocked to learn that I am not particularly motivated to figure out this one's exact ID. But all grasshoppers are Orthoptera (along with katydids and crickets).

Nice headshot. Serious camouflage if it weren't sitting on a piece of light-colored fabric.

grasshopper

This afternoon, I heard a big squeak from my deck. Who's out there? The hairy woodpecker! Crummy pictures through a dirty window, and it was a fast visit. I didn't catch him or her in the birdbath, but maybe that was the attraction.

hairy woodpecker

Bye, bye!

hairy woodpecker

In other news: I worked all morning on the book. Finished yesterday's work list in the afternoon, and walked to the post office.

See Colored Heads and Striped Legs
if you like this blog, click

Like This!


1 comment:

Ann said...

That is a big grasshopper. Makes me think of the good old days when we spent the summer days trying to catch them