Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Who Writes the Music?

  On the hike Tuesday, I found a few Golden Spindle fungi. These are easily recognized, Clavulinopsis fusiformis, one of the coral fungi. golden spindles fungus

But, I can never see them without thinking of one version of the song "I Know Where I'm Going." I have a recording of that by the New Christy Minstrels. It's a traditional folk song and the words get massaged every time someone records it. However, I love that particular version, and I used it as the closing for the program I used to give about hiking the North Country Trail. I used that program until I had finished the trail, and then I made a new program.

Part of the chorus goes "Who writes the music in the quiet summer morning?" I used this picture of Golden Spindles, taken at Pictured Rocks in 1999 for that line of the song. The fungi, reaching to dance with the lycopodium, always sang to me. Do you find nature singing to you?
golden spindles fungus


By the way, the song ends "I'm going where you go, and you'll be there beside me. The lovelight in your eyes is all I need to guide me. Oo-oo-oo. I know where I'm going." Coupled with pictures of happy hikers, this song made a powerful conclusion to the program.

In other news: I edited, I wrote a chapter, I got the flat tire off the mower and loaded in the car so I can take it to be fixed. I went to town, and I figured something out on the trailer. A friend stopped by for a while. Sounds like a lot, but I still had time to do some reading for fun. Good day.

See Sterling Marsh Again

2 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Our Dada says that if you guess Danny Elfman, John Williams, or Hans Zimmer as the answer to 'who writes the music', you'll be right like 90% of the time."

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- John Williams is certainly in the running