Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, July 23, 2021

The White and Red of Wintergreen

  Wintergreen is always perky and cheerful right through the winter because the leaves stay green, and you can often find the red berries too, but I don't like to share pictures of the same plants over and over. However, yesterday I found something a little different about the wintergreen to show you.

For starters, the delicate white flowers were in bloom. wintergreen

Can you believe I learned something new about this familiar plant? The roots are bright red- at least at this time of year. red wintergreen roots

And when they send up new shoots, those are red too. What fun! wintergreen shoots

In other news: I spent the morning doing more housecleaning. Why? Because someone returned home from a long trip. Things had gotten to be quite a mess. At least the presence of another person inspires or guilts me into cleaning up from time to time. Anyway... the house is more or less clean. Certainly more than it was a few days ago. Much less than most of you would think suitable.

I also edited, and then wrote for my own book. Currently at 46,600 words. Spent a little time in the trailer, but I have nothing to share about that yet. It rained all morning and then was very humid after that.

See What a Weather Treat

3 comments:

Ann said...

All new things that I learned about wintergreen

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "So when do the mints grow on the wintergreen plant? Is that like an autumn crop?"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- Glad to be of service!

Lulu- fall and winter- the red berries are yummy