Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, July 12, 2021

Jumping Spider 3

  Now that I know that 13% of ALL spiders are jumping spiders, and they all have the same basic shape, I am seeing them everywhere. Here's another handsome one. I have an ID request in with Bugguide. But there are over 6000 species of jumping spiders. One of them is (I kid you not) the Two-striped Jumping Spider. Is it possible? jumping spider

Anyway, they are characterized by a large head and having their four front legs larger than the back four. This is also true of crab spiders and lynx spiders, but crab spiders have very long front legs that remind you of a crab, and lynx spiders have spines on their legs. So, I'm sticking with jumping spider. We'll see if I'm right when Bugguide weighs in.

The primary way to tell them is by the arrangement of the eyes, but I didn't get face to face with this one, so I don't know.

In other news: I edited, and I wrote a chapter in my own book. I found the striping tape for the trailer, but it has to be below 65 degrees to apply it. What the....? If it's not wet, maybe first thing in the morning. I also did a little bit of cleaning. It was a nice calm day. I also bruised a toe kinda bad yesterday. I don't think it's broken, but it could feel better. I'm sure it will in a few days.

See Jumping Spider 3

2 comments:

Ann said...

That spider sure does look like it fits the name Two-striped jumping spider. Not sure I want to be near anything that can jump into my personal space even if it is that small.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- but remember that 13% of all spiders can jump right into your space!