Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 12, 2021

Almost Food

  Sue came over this afternoon and we worked really hard. Here she is mixing trail shakes. The food is ALMOST done. I need to fill the dehydrator with apples overnight and do one more thing in the morning that requires an ingredient I will get across the street. person making hiker food

Here are tubs filled with bags of various items. I tried not to have too much just nutrition-poor candy, but I did get a few things. You've already heard that there are tootsie rolls in some of the meals. I got a big bag of Riesen candies because they travel well and they are SO good. I do have a weakness for chocolate. I am also trying some fruit chews called Hi-Chews. They look like they can also survive heat and they are nice and tart.

Other than that, it's mostly healthy. I rifled the discount bar tub and picked out the best ones. I bought some sausages at the dollar store. I don't eat a lot of meat snacks, but a few are fine. There are several different fruit and nut mixes, what I call "new age gorp" (walnuts, raisins and dark chocolate M&Ms), I bought a box of a seasonal Christmas Chex cereal-- it would be horrible for breakfast, but is pretty tasty for a snack, the salty mixes are already packed up so they aren't in this picture, the rest of the veggie snacks are here, and a mix with little crisp breads with almonds and yogurt-covered cranberries, and of course a LOT of trail shakes (I'll have one of those almost every day- a lot are already packed up and not pictured here).
hiking snack packs


I have no idea yet how much this all cost. I'll try to figure it out at some point. I managed to pick up a large number of things at the discount store, which made me feel better about a few more expensive things (like some dried cherries). I THINK I've managed to do this pretty economically.

I'm trying to clear out the food mess, so I can put boards in the kitchen to polyurethane. Maybe I can have them all done before the weather dries out enough to be getting out tools and running in and out of the trailer.

And quality control? Sophie and Anabelle approve! Sophie even curled up in my chair beside me for a few minutes when I took a break to check email and stuff. two little dogs

In other news: I did not get to cross off a single thing, but three BIG ones are really close. I worked on a volunteer project that has to be done in the morning, and then the rest of the day was food and family, because, of course, Josh is having a crisis. Omer is mostly dealing with it (so thankful for that), but I am not completely off the hook. Had to run some errands this evening, one of which involved Cathy, who FED ME DINNER which I had not had time to have yet.

Still 25 BIG ITEMS to complete- (37 done). 38 small ones to do (32 done). 18 days to go.

See Backpacking Snacks

3 comments:

Ann said...

Well you know you did a good job if you got Sophie and Anabelle to approve your work.
Hope all is well with Josh

The Furry Gnome said...

That's an incredible pile of food!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- He needs a new furnace. It turned into quite a circus.

Stew- It does look impressive.