Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Who is Ralph?

  Bell Choir is having holiday fun this year with secret pals. We each filled out a questionaire about various things we like. Then we wadded the papers into balls and had a paper ball fight until the director called "stop." Then we kept the paper we had. We were to give small gifts to the person we got.

My gifts are coming from "Ralph." I suspect someone has a grandson! But I'm getting much more than some simple gifts. Week One, I got a small bag of trail mix (which I put in my trail food), and a letter with a picture of a pathway lined with flowers. The words are adapted from "Going on a Bear Hunt." It says:

You are going on a "Trail" Hunt!
You're going to find a loooooong one...
When it's a beautiful day
You'll be sure to find your way...

You are going on a "Trail" Hunt!
You're going to find a loooooong one...
But when obstacles pop up,
It might be hard to find your way!

But before you hit the "Trail" Hunt!
Going on that loooooong one...
Your Mystery Ranger "Ralph" will be
Here to help you on your way! illustration of Going on a Bear Hunt

Week 2, I got a picture of a lovely red bug in the grass, and some decorative table fringe. It may have to be saved for "some" post-hike celebration. The picture is grass- like the green swishy fringe.

The new parts of the poem are:

OH OH... Grass!
Can't go over it...
Can't go under it...
You'll have to go through it!

Swiiiish
Swiiiish
Swiiiish
Swiiiish

After you are home from your "Trail Hunt," this will remind you of the wonderful fields of grass you were able to swish through. illustration of Going on a Bear Hunt

Last week, I got fish jumping in a river. It came with a single packet of really good coffee. I drank it on my low energy day and it perked me up.

The new words are:

Oh Oh... a river!
A deeeep cold river!
Can't go over it,
Can't go under it,
Will have to go through it!

Splash splosh! 4 times

But at the end of the day there's nothing like a hot "cup-o-Joe to help warm you up. This one's on me. illustration of Going on a Bear Hunt

And yesterday, I got a whole orchard full of apple trees, and a little apple pie. I had the pie for dessert last night.

Oh, Oh... an orchard!
With big red juicy apples!
Can't go over it,
Can't go under it,
Will have to go through it!

Pick some! (4 times)

Just think of the yummy pies you could make with all those wonderful apples. illustration of Going on a Bear Hunt

I don't think anyone is getting any better gifts than I am! Thank you Ralph- whoever you are. (I'll know who my pal is before I leave on the hike.)

In other news: Dang! I REALLY wanted to cross off the next big item on the trailer. I did a little accounting, and a little bit on food and then worked my tail off on the trailer. But I discovered that I had to do part of the next piece before I could finish this piece, and then I had to wait for stuff to dry, so I also worked on yet another piece. I would have worked past dark if I could have finished, but I had to fiberglass in another brace, so it has to dry overnight anyway. But tomorrow is looking good. Seriously. I managed to do 2 small jobs, but I added several more.

27 BIG ITEMS to do (35 done), and 34 small ones to do (20 done). 27 days to go.

See Bell Choir Day

3 comments:

Ann said...

The secret pals thing sounds like fun and Ralph sure is creative with the letters.

Sharkbytes said...

HI Ann- We are having fun with it. The director emphasized that we were supposed to spend under $20 total on gifts, so we are free to have fun with little pressure.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "I don't know anybody named Ralph, but Dada says to keep an eye out for a Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time, whatever that means."