Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 19, 2021

Singing I Go Along Life's Road

  Do you know this chorus?
Singing I go along life's road,
Praising the Lord, praising the Lord.
Singing I go along life's road,
For Jesus has lifted my load.

Sure, I need to have all these required things done so I can even go walking for 365 days. But there has to be some preparation for what I will do to make those days more than just a mind-numbing walk. There will be picture-taking, and encounters with people, and plant study, and sky watching, I'm sure. But I know there will also be singing.

Years ago, I made up a little book called the "No Frills Personal Collection of Songs for the Trail." It's a combination of Girl Scout songs and Christian choruses and hymns. small songbook

I made them for my core hiking buddies, and they were well used. Keeping it in a plastic bag most of the time preserved it in a still readable condition. small songbook

But this will be a long hike! I had a list of songs I wanted to add anyway, and I had the computer files, so I wasn't starting from scratch. I ended up doubling the size of the book. Edition 2! Can you tell how many more pages it has? small songbook

I added a lot of hymns. Comparing the Christian life to a walk is commonplace. Colossians 1:10 says "walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God"

But there are lots of fun songs to just fill a tiresome afternoon like "The Unicorn," "The Fox," "The Frozen Logger," etc. Many verses are a good thing on days like that.

No fancy bindings on these. The pages were clamped together, holes were drilled and cord tied through. small songbook

Since I'd first compiled that book, I'd also started collecting the music for the songs. I didn't really make note of how far I was on that project before I added so many songs, but anyway, now there are 207 songs, and I have the music for 166 of them. Not bad. notebook of sheet music

I'm taking my ukulele, and I got a tiny keyboard (a toy, really), but if it lasts a year of being bounced around in the trailer, that will be fine.

I'm hopeful that there will be lots of music in my life this year. I'll literally be "Singing I go along life's road..."

In other news. Well, I was up until 2 am finishing this project. But it means I can cross off a BIG ONE. I also get to cross off 2 small ones- one of which turned out to be pretty time consuming- but it's done now. Staying up so late meant I didn't wake up too early. But since I was awake at 3 am, I went internet surfing and found a solution for one of the big projects that may transform it to a small project. Today, I did errands and worked on the trailer all afternoon.

20 BIG ITEMS to complete- (42 done). 45 small ones to do (38 done). 11 days to go.

See A Book of Verses

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This will be a wonderful addition to our journey in December/ January 🙂

Unknown said...

20 + 45 in 11 = do you need some help?

Ann said...

That will be nice to have while you're out there hiking.
You're getting down to the wire here.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- don't remind me!!!!

Unknown- Help welcome- who are you? Sue said it's not her. Cindy?