Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Last Bell Choir for a While

  Here are today's performances. You get half of a decent technical product. The framing is good, and the sound is pretty good. For some reason, the camera (which was on the right setting, and on autofocus) decided not to focus. Sigh.

We played "Be Still My Soul" for the prelude. More accurately, Becky Sopha played this beautiful arrangement on the piano and the bells accompanied her. But it sounds good.



And for our primary piece, the camera again refused to focus. But I'm really glad we at least captured the sound for this one. It's the theme from Beethoven's 9th symphony, Hymn of Joy. This is the most difficult piece we've played since the turnover a couple of years ago when several of the ringers retired and we gained some new people and Carleen became director. And, I think we did a pretty good job!

There was one measure that I'd only played correctly once in all the rehearsals, and I got it right-- and didn't mess up anything else either. Just on a personally selfish thought, right when the tempo changes and we begin using mallets, if I didn't hit the first couple of notes correctly it could throw everyone off. And it was tough to get them right. But I'm really happy to tell you that I did master that measure.

Honestly, it's not about whether I get it right. It's about enhancing the worship experience, and good music is such an important part of that! PTL!



I have lots of old and new friends at the Methodist Church, and many of them were wishing me well on this crazy adventure I'm beginning very soon.

In other news: There is tons of other news. I get to cross off 3 BIG ITEMS today. Monica came over in the afternoon and we worked like maniacs. After she left, I stayed in the trailer and finished one of the three. I'll have to blog about it tomorrow because I wanted to share this music.

17 BIG ITEMS to complete- (45 done). Tons of small ones to do (40 done). 9 days to go.

See October Bell Choir

3 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds wonderful.

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm so glad our church also has a bell choir!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- thank you!

Stew- I would love to hear it!