Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

A Year Ago

  It's hard to believe that one year ago today I was 865 miles into my NCT hike. I was in southern Ohio in Pike State Forest. Denali was hiking with me. At that point, I was doing well, but still had no idea if I could sustain the walking. Well, you know I did for another 11 months. Of course, now I'm home waiting for a little less snow in the Upper Peninsula so I can finish the final 450 miles all in one chunk.
Pike State Forest


I am looking back only because I don't have any pictures from today at all. I'm not even going to take the time to scan some things and do a throwback post.

Why? Because my brain went into full creative mode last night. I only slept 1.5 hours and didn't get sleepy at all during the day. Today, I read half of one non-fiction book, watched two movies, and read one fiction book that are helping me to craft the plot for Vacation from Dead Mule Swamp. I also have one fiction book from the library, and another one on order from Interlibrary Loan to see how others have handled this theme (trope- if there is one- the idea is a little off the wall). The details are beginning to sort themselves out in my head.

I've been living with this brain for quite a few years, and when it does this, I really need to go with the flow and take advantage of the storm of ideas that are being generated.

This is a possible opening for the book. Or not, but it's good for a tease.
No doubt about it, I was lost. I could see nothing except rolling sand dunes dotted with scrubby juniper bushes. The sky was overcast, and I had no idea where the sun was hiding behind the dense clouds. Somewhere, the Lake Michigan surf was rolling and I should have been able to hear it. That would have told me which way was west. But I couldn’t hear it.


Don't worry, I won't forget to finish the hike. These "fits" of creativity don't last. Then it will be the slog of just writing the story.

See Pike State Forest

4 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "We completely understand how this is! You have to dig while the gopher is in the hole! And we can already picture that scene of wandering through the dunes!"

Ann said...

As with anything creative, you need to take advantage of the fits while you can.

kim said...

I am already intrigued with the (possible) opening chapter. You are such an inspiration!!!

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- Is Dada writing another book?

Ann- yes, I do. I'm not a very even keel person. I do projects and then I crash.

Kim- thanks!