Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, January 18, 2020

New Gear- Sweatshirt Replacement

 
Well, as you can probably tell, I've been ordering some new hiking gear. My mostly 28-year-old stuff is just worn out.

I have a favorite camping sweatshirt, but I'm hoping this will replace it. My initial reaction is positive. This is made by Dickies. I got it on closeout at Sierra Trading Post, so I'm not sure you could find one if you like it too. What attracted me, for one thing, was the closeout price.

Dickies hooded jacket

Probably the most negative thing is that it's 100% polyester. Polyester and my skin are not friends. However, I'm hoping I can get away with it in a jacket where I'll have at least a short sleeve shirt under it.

I'm really pleased with the fit. In particular, the sleeves aren't too long, and the hood isn't so big I can't keep it out of my eyes when it's in use.

Dickies hooded jacket

It's an odd combination of quilted fabric and fleece. I'm not sure if there is a reason for that, or if it is supposed to just be fashionable.

The color is one I can live with although it's a little more blue-green than the pictures. (I wouldn't have ordered it if I could only get pink or purple, eh?)

The zipper is smooth.

The jury is out on the pockets. I expected handwarmer pockets. These are top loading. Biggest negative- there is only a flap. No actual closure.

Dickies hooded jacket

This picture didn't focus well, but you can still see the angle of my hands to get them in the pockets. I'll probably need to be careful to not put something in there that could fall out, like a flashlight. Or, I could add some kind of closure.

Dickies hooded jacket

Weight is 11.3 ounces, as opposed to my sweatshirt which was 11.7 ounces. That's a little reduction.

I'll let you know how I like it after I've used it a bit.

In other news: I did laundry and beat my brains out on the index for North Country Quest. Made good progress. 217 pages indexed.

See New Gear, Small Tweaks