Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, February 12, 2024

One Little Piece of THE PROJECT

 Years ago, before there were dollar stores, I bought two of these swing curtain rods somewhere cheap. Maybe K-Mart. I know I didn't pay more than $2.50 apiece, probably less. But they only had two. I really wanted four.
verdigris swing curtain rod


I haven't been able to find anything like them that isn't cast iron, and I don't need that level of sturdy. They also don't have to swing. I could get a set of cast iron brackets with a grapevine design for $90. Just no.

I looked on places like Etsy and Ebay, and found a used set for $20. Yes! So I bought them. Then the seller contacted me and said he had made a mistake in the listing and there was only one bracket. Well, that won't work. So I got my money back.

Meanwhile my brain started to function and I thought I remembered a pair of old shelf brackets that I had saved from something. Found 'em. It only cost $4 to get some verdigris paint. I cut out some grape leaves from cardboard, and painted the brackets poorly to make them look even older.
painted shelf brackets


Then I antiqued the whole thing with some black paint.
painted shelf brackets


Glued on the leaves and put them up. I think it's just fine! I'm all for eclectic anyway.
verdigris shelf brackets


I MAY finish this project tomorrow. I'm pretty close.

The car has gone to the shop to hopefully be fixed. Did errands and edited today as well. There is one more pile of stuff in the kitchen that doesn't really have homes to deal with. Ugh.

See Focused Activity

3 comments:

Ann said...

Well aren't you the clever one. The paint job matches the original ones perfectly.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "If you can't find 'em, make 'em!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- it is pretty good!

Lulu- it's generally a great solution.