Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Pepper and Salt

 Yes, I usually say it in this order. It's because we read left to right, and so left is pepper and right is salt. This is the way I remember that left is port and right is starboard on a boat. Now you have a glimpse of how my convoluted brain works.

Remember those cute little pepper and salt sets of black and white Scottie dogs? I have a cute little set for you today. Here is pepper.
black squirrel


Here is salt. Note that the eye is black.
white squirrel


This is not albino, but simply a white gray squirrel. The black ones are black gray squirrels. This is why I like to use capitals for animal names- it makes more sense when you see black Gray Squirrel, right? However, the mucky-mucks say that we should not use capitals unless there is a proper name involved, like Canada goose or Nuttal oak.

Now I'm questioning whether the squirrels I saw in 2021 are albino. Their eyes look sort of red in the pictures, but it's hard to be sure. We are getting a significant number of white squirrels in the area.

This was in Ludington School Forest. I walked 2.4 miles there before bell choir practice. The project is moving along, but I'm not sharing more just yet.

Total miles hiked in 2024: 82.4 of which 7.7 is North Country Trail.

Ludington School Forest. Various trails. 2.4 miles

See Albino Twins
SeeYour Next Hint

3 comments:

Ann said...

I don't think I have ever seen a white squirrel that wasn't albino. Very interesting.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Hmm, now I'm wondering if they have tuxedo Gray squirrels ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I think it's unusual too

Charlee- I have not seen a tuxedo squirrel, but I will sure tell you if I do!