Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Couldn't Stay Inside!

 I was going to hunker down and work a lot today, but the forecast was for 53 degrees! Nope. Have to go out.

I met Miki at the Freesoil Trailhead to walk my adopted section of trail.
hiker


Pretty much, when Miki hikes, so does Eamon. He is a young ferret, so he has lots of energy. He walked over half of the way, and got a ride in "mom's" coat the rest of the time.
ferret on a leash


The bottomland hardwood swamp along the section of trail that was Manistee and Luther Railroad is very dry. This often has a couple of feet of standing water in it.
dry swamp


Remember the bridges I helped replace in August? (Link below) Here is one of them completed. There are five little ones. So nice to have sturdy passage.
trail bridge


Once again, I contemplated following the unknown rail berm that crosses the trail here. See more in link below. Today, you could really see the berm heading north (yellow). The trail is the blue line. This would be a good time to try to follow it. We'll see!
abandoned rail berm


Finally, just a nice trail picture. At least, as nice as they get in the brown and gray months. My thermometer said it made it to 55 degrees!
trail


I did get quite a bit of editing done, and some writing before I hiked.

Total miles hiked in 2024: 113.3 of which 23.7 is North Country Trail.

North Country Trail, Lake County, MI, Freesoil Rd to Tyndall Rd and back. 5 miles

See Trail Work Day
See Railroad or Road

No comments: