Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, February 19, 2024

Strange Plastic

 I returned to the abandoned pantry-cleaning project today. It got sidetracked by many other things.

But what I want to show you is something very strange. In fact, I've never encountered anything like it. I like unique and unexplained things, so this qualifies.

Stored in the pantry were a pile of these large plates that Om had purchased a number of years ago. I picked up the pile and took them to the kitchen to wash them.
patriotic plastic plate


But when I removed one plate from the pile it made a funny crunching noise and disintegrated. The patriotic design is a thin film stuck to the base plastic. The white base plastic crumbled as the film peeled. The oddest thing about it is that the plastic has a very strange non-plastic odor to it when broken. If I were to keep playing with the plastic pieces, they could be broken down by hand in to a coarse sand-like pile.

I have NO idea what these things are made of, but needless to say, they are now headed for the trash. It's almost like they are made of biodegradable plastic. But why would anyone make something that is supposed to be durable from a biodegradable product?
broken plastic plate


In other news: I edited, I wrote, I worked on taxes.

See One More Pantry Section

2 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- me neither!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, mystery plastic! I bet Charlee would try to eat it."
Charlee: "I probably would."