Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Eastern Leaf-footed Bug Nymph

  Our first evening at the campsite in the Adirondacks in August we encountered several of these very strange insects. Eastern Leaf-footed Bug

The thought briefly crossed my mind that the thickened legs looked like a leaf-footed bug, but I couldn't wrap my head around the very strange warped shape of the body. Eastern Leaf-footed Bug

Bugguide.net to the rescue! This is indeed a leaf-footed bug. The Eastern Leaf-footed Bug, Acanthocephala terminalis, but it is one of the nymph stages. I looked up some of those stages, and earlier ones are lighter colored, so this is probably a near-adult. The adults are rather plain brown, but they have yellow/orange tips on their antennae. The nymph is much more interesting with that fan-shaped back end trimmed in white pinking. They do not bite. Eastern Leaf-footed Bug

In other news: I did laundry, I made yogurt, I emptied the trailer. Blah, blah.

See Western Conifer Leaf-footed Bug

3 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Normally we like bugs!"
Chaplin: "However, that one looks like a scout for some kind of alien invasion."
Charlee: "Which might just be all the more reason for us to eat it."
Chaplin: "Ooh, yes, good point!"

Ann said...

That's the oddest looking bug I've ever seen.

Sharkbytes said...

C & C- definitely alien!

Ann- agreed- very weird