Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Zig-Zag Goldenrod

  Here's another species of goldenrod I hadn't seen before the recent trip to NY, although it does supposedly grow around here. This is Zig-Zag Goldenrod. I kid you not. Zig-Zag Goldenrod

The leaves are quite different from most golderods- wide and strongly toothed. The flowers are in sparse clusters. Not fully open in these pictures, but you can tell there aren't going to be tons of them. This specimen isn't strongly zig-zaged, except in a couple of places. Zig-Zag Goldenrod

The name? Solidage flexicaula, easy to remember- Solidago is all the goldenrods, and flexi (flexible) + caulis (plant stem). When I worked at Matthaei Gardens, I had a dream to create a goldenrod garden with multiple native species. I got about 5 in before I was done there, but I don't think any except the very ordinary ones survived.

In other news: I edited, I worked on the trailer, I did errands, and I went to bell choir practice. Nothing new in that list. But I did work hard. Big list is up to 60 things to do by 12/1, and I have crossed off 12. TO DO- 48 things: 63 days.

See Silverrod

No comments: