Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, September 27, 2021

My Trailer Redo - Days 149-151 - Beadboard Walls Finished

  This time I'm not fudging anything. These curved walls in the trailer are really and truly done. white paneling inside a fiberglass trailer

First of all, this is another case of three steps forward and two back. I had to take everything on the curves apart, and all the way back to include one piece of the flat wall on each side. The construction adhesive alone did not hold those "custom studs" to the fiberglass. My guess is too much vibration while traveling, with the stress of the paneling pulling on it. wood brace pulled loose from fiberglass wall

So those all had to be fiberglassed in place. Had to make one more of those odd pieces too. Remember, I just slapped the left side together so it would look good for the last trip. I knew it wasn't done. wood brace fiberglassed to a trailer shell

Then I had to do something about getting some kind of insulation behind that curve. There is not enough room between the paneling and the shell for a piece of the foam in some places. So I tacked in some fiberglass batting pulled in half to reduce the thickness. I figure that will be better than nothing. Looks a mess, but this is all hidden.
insulation in a fiberglass trailer


Now back to joining those panel strips around the corner. Remember I said that I wanted a wider seam cover strip but couldn't find one? Well, guess what? I did find one, and it's significantly wider. Now the downside... it's made for thinner paneling. You can see how much narrower the space for the panel edge is. paneling seam covers

But, hey, masonite (which the beadboard is) can be sanded. However, I learned that it's really hard stuff. OK, I knew that already. It's brittle and breaks into layers if you twist it, but otherwise it's really hard. However, with enough sanding, I got those edges thin enough to fit in the strips.
sanding masonite


Lots of sanding. But here we are! This was just enough extra width that the edges of the beadboard don't pull out of the seam covers. I am very pleased. Here's the other side. Edge strip along the top to finish it off. white paneling inside a fiberglass trailer

How does it look close up? Really fine, I think! Success. Now on to the next project. white paneling inside a fiberglass trailer

In other news: I edited. I got Dead Mule Swamp Singer published (YEAH!) I started collecting the recycling. My list is still at 58 things to do by 12/1, and I have crossed off 10. TO DO- 48 things: 64 days. That sounds better.

See Beadboard Walls

4 comments:

Bob Kane said...

What a difference! How thick are the walls? What will you do around the windows?

Ann said...

Looks like a professional job.

Sharkbytes said...

HI Bob- They are covered with simple frames. Previous owner made them of 4x4s. Ultimately I'll make new ones with 1x3s, but you can see what they look like at http://myqualityday.blogspot.com/2021/08/rollin-in-sonshine-2021-interior-tour.html

Ann- wow! Thank you.

Sharkbytes said...

Bob- Oh... the paneling is 1/8"