Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Two New Pieces of Hiking Gear

  Still trying to get the hiking gear perfected. Three years ago, I bought the Sawyer Mini water filter system. I did some modifications, and it worked. It weighed less than my old system. But it was forever awkward. On Denali's advice, I bought a Katadin BeFree filter. This holds more water at a time and reduces the weight to 4.3 ounces from 6.6 ounces. You just swish the actual filter part in clean water to clean it. Katadin Be Free Water Filter

I also bought a solar light. I first saw a light similar to this in 2018, but I was skeptical of how well they work. Denali also says these are good, so I got one because the light I've been using is dead. This is the Luci Original. You just let air in the valve to expand it to this cylinder. Luci Light

There are three levels of brightness plus a flasing option for signaling. It's hard to tell in the pic, but it is bright enough to read by. Luci Light

You can let the air out and use it as a flashlight. Seems to light up a decent space ahead. Luci Light

It supposedly takes 7 hours of light to charge it for 24 hours of use- don't know if that's on high or low power, but one wouldn't likely need to keep it on that long- I don't plan to go caving this year or go to one of the Poles. It has a little indicator to show how fully it is charged. Weight is 4.8 ounes. Former tent light is 6.6 ounces and I can't find the dead flashlight to weigh it, but all of that weight is gone, so probably saving at least 6 ounces. Luci Light

In other news: I edited, I did some trailer stuff I could do in the house because it rained hard outside. Mostly I worked on a volunteer project I need to get done. I thought I'd get to cross it off my list, but I'm waiting for a couple of pieces of information, so no satisfaction there yet. I did finish one thing. Still 63 items on the Big List with 16 crossed off leaving 47 to go, and I'm down to 58 days.

See Sawyer Mini

4 comments:

Ann said...

Very clever pieces that will come in handy while out on the trails.

Trina Ball said...

That solar lantern was given to me a few years ago. You'll LOVE it. I've given several away as gifts. And it lights up an entire room / tent, whereas a flashlight has to be redirected to light specific objects. Seems to hold the power forever.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- sure hope they measure up!

Trina- thanks for the info.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "An inflatable light? Aren't humans clever!"
Chaplin: "Yes they are. But they would be even more clever if they invested their evolutionary energy into being able to see in the dark like we cats can."