Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Cocoon Mystery


photo label

Here's my little gray mystery. This cocoon has been hanging on the end of my kitchen steps' handrail all winter. It appears similar to a bagworm (no, I'm not making that up), but they usually look "twiggier" and are a bit fatter. I spent a couple of hours last night hunting on line, but couldn't match it. It's soft, and the only attachment is at the tip, so it sways in the breeze. It's only about 1.25 inches long.

Cocoons and chrysalises can be really challenging. If I happen to see when the moth appears, I'll be sure to let you know. If any of you have any further insight, please let me know!



12 comments:

spinninglovelydays said...

Isn't that a piece of rag caught on a nail, hee hee

Sorry, I'm clueless as usual. I'll just wait for your update on this.

blueyes said...

you know I watched Holmes Inspection the other night and they had cocoons that were actually from termites. have you checked that site out to see if it matches?

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Hope we get to see what emerges.

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting cocoon! I would have clear it off :-(

Rick (Ratty) said...

This looks just like one I found when I was blogging for only a few months. I never did find the identity.

Ann said...

I wouldn't have a clue here. Hope you get to see the moth though, it would be interesting to find out.

rainfield61 said...

There are many of them in my garden, I think they are the same.

Are they related to moth?

It is interesting to know from you.

Lin said...

I'm guessing it is a moth and not a butterfly. I'm not sure I want to see what comes out of it! EEEK!

Sharkbytes said...

Ivy- and all- There isn't going to be much of an update unless A: I see the moth emerge or B: someone on bugguide.net knows what it is.

blueeyes- I don't think the location works for termites, but it's worth checking.

Carol- me too, but I'm not sure if it's even alive.

Icy- well, I don't know if it's a good "bug" or bad "bug!"

Ratty- did you post that one? Give me the link if you did.

Ann- I'm really curious now, because it's getting no ID on bugguide

rainfield- yes, I'm sure it's some kind of moth, but it seems unlikely we'd have the same ones as you

Lin- it will probably be some drab little thing... the question is "nasty or beneficial?

RNSANE said...

Of course, I don't know what it is and I probably would have swept it away! I'm such a novice when it comes to things like that!

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- well I'm only one step ahead... I know it's a moth cocoon... then my knowledge is done.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever find out what this was? I have them all over my home...as do my neighbors and I even walked around one night and saw them a few blocks away. I live in the south and we do have termite problems....but i never see anything come out of them