Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, July 27, 2020

The Lake that I Love

 
Cayuga Lake. My lake. This is home. 40 miles long, two miles wide. The big blocky building is the Miliken Power Plant (named for a former Michigan governor), now decommissioned. You could see this from my home.

Cayuga Lake

We did go swimming. It was so hot that this activity was almost a requirement rather than recreational. Actually, we went back to Sheldrake. Even though it is posted, all the locals still swim there. The sign is mostly because of the bad current off the point. We stayed well inside that. In my opinion all beaches should be small smooth flat stones like the Finger Lakes beaches, not sand. We picked up some pretty rocks, and I found one fossil, a crinoid. If I'd hunted longer there were possibilities of finding horn coral, brachiopods, and even trilobytes.

swimming in Cayuga Lake

And, I promised we'd get ice cream which we did. I had Sleeper Awake (coffee and chocolate), and Marie had Boomberry (raspberry ice cream with blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries). Definitely yummy, and it helped with the cooling.

ice cream

This is the school I attended from kindergarten to 12th grade. It's still in use as an elementary school, although the district is consolidated. It was built in 1924. My kindergarten room was on the first floor on the left. But the use patterns changed when an addition was built, so that was also my high school English room!

Interlaken Central School

And Dick finished the second of my trailer metalwork projects. The propane tank holder is now removed, and the spare tire is mounted on the hitch. Hooray!

spare tire mount on trailer hitch

Tomorrow more playtime. I promise there will be hiking eventually, but not quite yet.

See Memory Lane

3 comments:

Ann said...

What a great view over that lake.
Nothing wrong with play time. As long as you are enjoying yourself that's all that matters.

Larry said...

Swimming was definitely in order yesterday. I second Marie’s choice of Bloomberry, sounds wonderful!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Cayuga Lake! Our Dada says he has been there!"
Lulu: "But it's all the way on the other side of the country."
Chaplin: "Yes but apparently that's where Mama and Dada are from and used to live."
Lulu: "What? Who told you that?"
Charlee: "Dennis did."
Lulu: "So Dennis lived there?"
Chaplin: "Well, no, but he told us that Trixie and Tucker lived there, and they told him about it."
Lulu: "Hmm. Sounds like hearsay to me."