Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Wood These Do?

  Took a five-mile road walk today. Looking for anything of interest. Trees, alive and dead, can offer interest. This needle would be easy to thread. needle eye break in a log

Dead and rotting wood actually can be quite interesting. Notice the white strands of the mycelium of a fungus. Nice shapes too. rotting wood

Farther along the same log were these insect holes, and interesting textures. All the natural forces working to return that tree to the soil- wind probably first took it down, fungus, insects, maybe woodpeckers, bacteria, soon ice will have a turn. rotting wood

And this is on a living tree. A branch was cut off, probably a number of years ago, and the tree has continued to create scar tissue to cover the wound. tree with limb scar

In other news: I finished chapter 10 in Dead Mule Swamp Singer and thought up more of the details for chapter 11. Did a few odds and ends, and the evening ended with a trip to the emergency room for Joshua. He has a foot that is swollen, and because of his history with blood clots, he's supposed to really pay attention to that. I'm not entirely pleased with their conclusions, but because of COVID I was not allowed to go in with him. I'll have to try to find out more tomorrow. I think I'm ready for a book and bed.

See What a Glorious Day

2 comments:

Ann said...

Sorry to hear about the ER trip. Hope he is better soon.
I'm pretty sure I could thread that needle without my glasses even..lol

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ann- he seems to be fine. Thanks.